Properties of GMR based sensor for Magnetic field measurement at increasing Temperature Conditions
- GMR effect,
- Magnetic field,
- Magnetic Flux Leakage testing,
- Condition monitoring
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Journal of Non-Destructive Testing and Evaluation (JNDE)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
This paper presents investigations and associated results for the characterization of a giant magneto-resistance (GMR) sensor at varying temperature conditions. The approach constitutes an experimental setup using a commercial GMR sensor for the measurement of the magnetic field response of the system. The work aims to act as fully-operational evidence of the application, with an emphasis on the standard mode of operation and to improve the sensitivity of the measurement system. The system provides high flexibility in design applications where local magnetic fields must be detected. The measurement setup can be modified and redesigned for a wide variety of applications, thus allowing a path for future research, for better accuracy and extended operating range.
- . Poullikkas, A.: Economic analysis of power generation from parabolic trough solar thermal plants for the Mediterranean region—A case study for the island of Cyprus, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 13, p. 2474–2484, (2009)
- . Papaelias, M., Cheng, L., Kogia, M., Mohimi, A., Kappatos, V., Selcuk, C., Constantinou, L., Gómez Muñoz, C.Q., Garcia Marquez, F.P., Gan, T.H.: Inspection and structural health monitoring techniques for concentrated solar power plants. Renew. Energy (2015), 85, 1178–1191
- . Scrubbs, T.: The role of NDE in the life management of steam turbine rotors, Insight, vol. 46, no. 9, p. 529-532, (2004)
- . Guillot, S., Faika, A., Rakhmatullina, A., Lambert, J., Verona, E., Echegut, P., Bessadaa, C., Calvet, N., Py, X.: Corrosion effects between molten salts and thermal storage material for concentrated solar power plants., Applied Energy, vol. 94, p. 174–181, (2012)
- . Kogia, M.: High Temperature Electro-Magnetic Acoustic Transducer for Guided Wave Testing.Ph. D Thesis, Brunel University of London, London (2017)
- . Rao, B.: Magnetic Flux Leakage Technique: Basics. Journal of Non-destructive Testing & Evaluation. 11(3), 7-17, (2012)
- . Rochaz, L.V., Cuchet, R., and Vaudaine, M.H.: Sensors and Actuators .81 53-56, (2000)
- . Rifai, D., Abdalla, N, A., Ali,K and Razali.: Giant Magnetoresistance Sensors: A Review on Structures and Non- Destructive Eddy Current Testing Applications .,Sensors (2016), 16(3), 298; https://doi.org/10.3390/s16030298
- . Rao, S.A.: ALNICO PERMANENT MAGNETS AN OVERVIEW.Ph.D., (1956), Thomas&Skinner, Inc.
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- . https://www.nve.com.Availableonline: https://www.nve.com/Downloads/catalog.pdf
- . https://www.first4magnets.com/horseshoe-c42/red-alnico-horseshoe-magnet-47kg-pull-54-x-83-x-70mm- p10533#ps_0_10948|ps_1_10429
- . Ramos, G, H and Ribeiro, L, A.: Present and Future Impact of Magnetic Sensors in NDE, 1st International Conference on Structural Integrity, (ICONS-2014)., Procedia Engineering 86 (2014) 406 – 419, Portugal.
- . Johnson, J., Kim, K., S. Zhang, D. Wu, X. Jiang.: High temperature acoustic emission sensing tests using a Yttrium calcium oxyborate sensor, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 61, no. 5, p. 805-814, (2014)
- . Kasuya, T., Okuyama, T., Sakurai, N., Huang, H., Uchimoto, T., Takagi, T., Lu, T., Shoji, T.: Insitu eddy current monitoring under high temperature environment, International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, vol. 20, p. 163-170, (2004)
- . Dewhurst, J.R., Edwards, C., McKie, W, D.A., Palmer, B.S., A remote laser system for ultrasonic velocity measurement at high temperatures, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 63, no. 4, p. 1225-1227, (1988)
- . Dewhurst, J.R., and Shan, Q.: Modelling of confocal Fabry-Perot interferometers for the measurement of ultrasound, Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 5, no.6, 655, (1994)
- . Gongtian, S., Tao, L.: Infrared thermography for high-temperature pressure pipe, Insight, vol. 49, no.3, p.151- 153, (2007)
- . Cegla, B.F., Jarvis, C, J.A., Davies, O.J.: High temperature ultrasonic crack monitoring using SH cracks, NDT&E International, vol. 44, p. 669-679, (2011)
- . Sardini, E., Serpelloni, M.: High temperature measurement system with wireless electronics for harsh environments, (2011), Doi: 10.1109/SAS.5739768.Published in:2011 IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium.
- . Li, Z., Dixon, S.: A Closed-Loop Operation to Improve GMR Sensor Accuracy. IEEE Sens. J. (2016), 16, 6003–6007